The Alameda County EMS Agency actively participates in nationwide Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMS-C) initiative. The EMS-C initiative reduces child and youth mortality and morbidity resulting from severe illness or trauma. This includes educating and preparing our community members who have or care for children.
The Alameda County EMS Agency works toward that mission in several ways:
- Develop, implement, and integrate State/National EMS-C activities into entire spectrum of care for children and youth.
- Develop and promote injury or illness prevention, preparedness, and detection programs for the community and healthcare professionals.
- Promoting community preparedness to ensure that all ill or injured children and adolescents receive state of the art emergency medical care from prehospital personnel, and rehabilitation specialists.
- To improve neonatal/pediatric medical surge capability and capacity throughout Alameda County.
Below are some EMS-C program resources for both community members and healthcare professionals. For even more information about the EMS for Children program, we invite you to view the California EMS Authority's EMS for Children website.
***Please note: If you are participating in the 2021 Pediatric Site Visit program with our Agency, please click "Emergency Department Pediatric Readiness/Site Visit Education Project" below for relevant information and forms.***
The Alameda County EMS Agency strives to assist the various medical facilities in our County to be better prepared to handle pediatric patients during both day-to-day operations and during disaster/surge situations. Below are resources and links related to those efforts:
- Alameda County's Pediatric Medical Surge Plan
- National Pediatric Readiness Project - Pediatric Readiness Assessment Tool
- National Pediatric Readiness Project - Pediatric Readiness Fact Sheet
- National Pediatric Readiness Project - Pediatric Readiness in the Emergency Department Checklist
- Pediatric Disaster Plan Template for Hospitals
- Pediatric (Non-PICU) Hospital Surge Plan Guidelines
- Pediatric Surge Plan Template
- Pediatric Surge Readiness Checklist
- Inter Facility Transfer Tool Kit
- AAP Pediatric Preparedness Disaster Resource Kit
- National Pediatric Readiness Project and Toolkit
- Joint Policy Statement - Guidelines for Care of Children in the Emergency Department
- Western Region Alliance for Pediatric Emergency Management (WRAP-EM) Fact Sheet
- Meeting the Challenges of Pediatric Behavioral Emergencies: Article written by Cynthia Frankel, RN, MN; Brian Blaisch, MD; and Bruce Hagen, EMT-P for Fire Engineering Online magazine.
- Management of Behavioral Emergencies for EMS Providers (Presentation)
- Mental Health History Form for 5150 (AB 1424)
- Emergency Medical Information Brochure- Information on the Emergency Medical Information Form and developing an Emergency Care Plan for your child.
- Emergency Medical Information Form (from American Academy of Pediatrics ) a detailed medical form that includes all aspects of your child's care.
- Emergency Medical Information Card a shorter version of the form that can be carried by your child.
- Fact Sheet for developing an Emergency Care Plan for the Special Needs .